I’ve spent a lot of this week fighting with svn. Things that should have been simple, somehow kept failing. I was merging changes from a read-only http repo into a local working copy, which is checked out from an https repo. For some reason, that doesn’t work. Normally it does, but on this large merge, it just borked.
Thankfully the remote repo is also available over https. That solved the first problem. I merged, tidied up, and was ready to commit. Then the commit failed because svn was trying to do something fancy with the merge-from repo. I don’t know what or why, but it wouldn’t commit the files. So then I spent hours and hours trying various things. In the end I reverted all the newly created files, then added them back to the working copy, and finally it would commit.
What a pain in the ass.
I’m planning to explore bazaar for all my own version control needs, and if it works well, I’ll switch all our projects over. I’m hoping, like Ubuntu, it just works. 🙂